The deadline to apply for the 2022-2023 Wm. Reece Smith, Jr., Leadership Academy Class X has been extended to February 11.
The Leadership Academy is open to all Florida Bar members who are in good standing. In an effort to achieve diversity among the participants, qualified individuals will be sought from different backgrounds, large and small law firms, the private and public sectors, different practice areas, and different geographical areas of the state.
This is a multi-session training program designed to assist a diverse and inclusive group of lawyers in becoming better leaders within the legal profession while enhancing their leadership skills.
The goals of the Leadership Academy include:
• To enhance leadership skills of a diverse and inclusive group of lawyers;
• To identify, nurture, and inspire effective leadership within The Florida Bar and the legal community;
• To enhance the diversity of leaders within The Florida Bar; and
• To raise the level of awareness and engagement among lawyers regarding issues facing the legal profession through the study of ethical, professional and public service issues.
There will be seven required meetings, which will include up to 14 business days throughout the year including graduation at The Florida Bar Annual Convention in Orlando in June 2023. The dates of each training session are included in the application. Continuing legal education credits will be awarded for most sessions
To apply, click here. All applications must be received on or before February 11. For more information, please visit: https://www.floridabar.org/the-florida-bar-news/bar-accepting-applications-for-class-x-of-the-wm-reece-smith-jr-leadership-academy/
The Fifteenth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission (“JNC”) announces one vacancy for a Circuit Court Judge position created by the retirement of Judge Joseph Marx. The JNC has been asked to provide Governor Ron DeSantis with nominees for the vacancy by February 19, 2022.
Qualifications of Applicants:
Applicants must be able to fulfill the Constitutional qualifications for circuit court and county court judges described in Article V, Section 8 of the Florida Constitution.
Instructions for Submission:
1) The current Judicial Application form must be used and can be found at https://www.flgov.com/judicial-and-judicial-nominating-commission-information/. Applicants should ensure they are using the correct and current form.
2) Applications must be in .pdf form and submitted as follows: (i) one original copy of the application, including all attachments, (ii) one redacted copy of the application, including all attachments, excluding all exempt information under Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes or other applicable public records law. The two .pdf files should be named in a “last name.first name” format. For example: Jane Smith should submit two files named: (1) Smith.Jane.pdf and (2) Smith.Jane-REDACTED.pdf.
Each electronic application, including exhibits, must be a single pdf file. No paper applications will be accepted.
3) The deadline for submission of the completed application is 1:00 p.m., February 4, 2022. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Both the original and redacted electronic applications must be submitted by email to email@example.com.
Please ensure the Application is complete, including all required responses (including references, case style and contact information regarding recent cases, and class standing and degree information regarding education), and all required attachments (writing sample, financial disclosure, photograph). Incomplete applications may not be considered.
The JNC will publish on the Palm Beach County Bar Association’s website www.palmbeachbar.org and Governor Ron DeSantis’ judicial webpage https://www.flgov.com/judicial-and-judicial-nominating-commission-information/ the date and location of any interviews that the JNC chooses to conduct. The JNC anticipates that any interviews will be held the week of February 14, 2022.
All JNC proceedings are open to the public, except for deliberations. Applications are not confidential. If an applicant is nominated, all materials attached to the original application will be submitted to the Governor.
A list of members of the Fifteenth Circuit JNC is available at https://www.flgov.com/judicial-and-judicial-nominating-commission-information/. Members of the bench, the Bar and the public are urged to contact the members of the Commission concerning applicants for judicial positions.
If you have any questions, please call Mr. Harvey at (561) 303-2918, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Fifteenth Judicial Circuit has a Staff Attorney vacancy. In addition to the great benefit package, i.e., paid vacation and sick leave, medical benefits (HMO/PPO) at a cost of $50.00 single coverage; $180.00 for family coverage; and excellent working conditions, the starting salary is $48,925.00 with membership in the Florida Bar; $44,032.00 if awaiting membership in the Florida Bar.
Interested persons will find more information on the position using the link below. This position is open until filled.
We are now accepting applications from first and second year law students for summer judicial internships (unpaid). Each intern must commit at least 10 weeks to the program – 40 hours per week. Interested persons will find more information on the internship program using the link below. This position is open until 4:00 pm on Friday, February 25, 2022.
Friday, January 14: The North County courthouse is not open to the public due to facility issues.
Monday, January 17: the Courthouses are closed in recognition of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Tuesday-Thursday, January 18-20–North County Courthouse DV cases:
- Domestic Violence Hearings scheduled for Tuesday (January 18), Wednesday (January 19), and Thursday (January 20) are moved to January 25, January 26, and January 27. Notices will be sent out.
Tuesday, January 18:
- Judge Stephens’ traffic cases are reset to February 1st and February 15. Notices will be sent out.
Wednesday, January 19: North County Courthouse
- Judges Stephens’ criminal cases are reset to January 26 and February 2. Notices will be sent out.
Please monitor the Court’s Website for more information.
ATTENTION: Persons visiting the Courthouse in North County at 3188 PGA Boulevard must approach the courthouse from PGA west to a south turn to Fairchild Gardens Avenue then a left to Fairchild Avenue. At the intersection of Fairchild Avenue and Campus Drive, turn left until you reach the courthouse on your left.
Do not take PGA to Campus Drive. Campus Drive has extensive traffic backup due to Palm Beach County’s COVID testing site at the Library near Campus Drive. The Judges understand the difficulties that litigants and attorneys are having in reaching the courthouse. The Court has asked the County to resolve this matter to ensure that the courthouse is not blocked from users.